Health insurance

EU/EEA citizens

Poland has the health care system based on general health insurance.

Persons covered by the general health insurance are entitled to free health services in the territory of Poland at the health care providers who have concluded contracts with the National Health Fund (NFZ – Narodowy Fundusz Zdrowia). The National Health Fund is the institution, which is responsible for assuring health services for insured persons and members of their families).

During a temporary stay in Poland, a person entitled to health care under EEA rules can receive health services in the following areas:

  • primary health care,
  • specialist out-patient care,
  • hospital treatment,
  • dental treatment,
  • rescue services and ambulance transport.

In case of necessity of providing medical care, a student from a member country staying temporarily in the territory of Poland is entitled to free health care on the basis of the European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) or in particular cases on the basis of a special certificate. The student is obliged to present one of these documents (it is advisable to have also a copy) together with an identity document directly to the public health care provider.

The student will receive free health services at health care providers who have concluded a relevant contract with NFZ.

In case of lack of the European Health Insurance Card or equivalent document, the patient will be obliged to cover costs of treatment by himself. The same obligation arises in case of treatment provided by a health care unit which has no contract with NFZ.

If there is a need of hospital treatment, a doctor’s referral is required.

In case of sudden illness, accident, injury, intoxication, life threat, a patient receives necessary medical benefits without referral.

A patient who presented the European Health Insurance Card or a certificate, receives free hospital treatment within the general health care system.

Apart from academic and public medical care system there is also a well-developed private sector. The costs of medical care may be reimbursed if a student has purchased a health insurance policy in his country before departure.

Non-EU/EEA citizens

The students from non-EU/EEA countries have to purchase health insurance in their home country, before departure and send a proof of insurance to the International Relations Office in State University in Krosno. In case of the ISIC or Euro<26, insurance is included in the card and the student does not need to buy another one unless he/she wants to increase its scope or value. According to state health regulations foreigners (except the EU/EEA citizens, see above) have to pay for a medical consultation. The cost is then reimbursed by the health insurance company.

Apart from public medical care system there is also a well-developed private sector.